domain issues
J Peachey
2015-02-16 22:09:37 UTC
not sure if anyone hangs around here anymore.

I have a domain hosted by Orpheus, and within my webspace is a
directory awstats. This folder now contains around 1Mb of stats going
back to 2011.

I have tried to delete the older stats, but they refuse to delete.
Within FTPc I get the command failed. The folder has full owner
read/write/execute, so the files should be deletable.

I have asked Orpheus to look into it but have got nowhere. Any ideas
why the stuff in this folder won't delete, and does anyone else have
this problem?

thanks

john
_______________________| http://www.jpeachey.co.uk
Bill (Adopt)
2015-02-17 11:51:37 UTC
Post by J Peachey
Hi,
not sure if anyone hangs around here anymore.
Um.. yes?!... :))
Post by J Peachey
I have a domain hosted by Orpheus, and within my webspace is a
directory awstats. This folder now contains around 1Mb of stats going
back to 2011.
I have tried to delete the older stats, but they refuse to delete.
Within FTPc I get the command failed. The folder has full owner
read/write/execute, so the files should be deletable.
I have asked Orpheus to look into it but have got nowhere. Any ideas
why the stuff in this folder won't delete, and does anyone else have
this problem?
If it were one of my own HDDs I would tend to
think that non-deletable file(s) indicate an
HDD problem necessitating a fairly imminent
change of HDD.

Given that Orpheus have all our data backed up
on multiple intercommunicating devices held
within a 'server centre' tends to suggest something
more basic.

OK, apologies if I'm not immediately helpful -
but then none of we mere mortals have direct
access to the 'behind the scenes' and very secure
exchange and storage Server complexes where our
data is held.

Suggestion?

Dunno - except try contacting Richard again so
that he can continue looking into the problem,
perhaps re-prodding our SysAdmin - if in fact
this is not already being done.

Richard's phone numbers do connect with him,
even when he's frequently 'out in the field'.
He, as the rest of the Orpheus staff, have
an interest in ensuring the business keeps
running..

..and, at least, you now know someone is still
here within the argonet newsgroups!

No answers, but hope the moral support helps
a little.. :))

Bill ZFC
--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
J Peachey
2015-02-20 20:52:57 UTC
Hi Bill,

Glad to see that someone is still around.
Post by Bill (Adopt)
Hi,
Post by J Peachey
I have a domain hosted by Orpheus, and within my webspace is a
directory awstats. This folder now contains around 1Mb of stats going
back to 2011.
I have tried to delete the older stats, but they refuse to delete.
Within FTPc I get the command failed. The folder has full owner
read/write/execute, so the files should be deletable.
I have asked Orpheus to look into it but have got nowhere. Any ideas
why the stuff in this folder won't delete, and does anyone else have
this problem?
If it were one of my own HDDs I would tend to
think that non-deletable file(s) indicate an
HDD problem necessitating a fairly imminent
change of HDD.
It is strange, the folder is in the root directory of the web space, I
can do anything with any other file folder, but not with this folder.
The reason its staring to grate, is it's taking up quite a chunk of
webspace, and newer files tend to get lost in amongst all the other
files.
Post by Bill (Adopt)
Given that Orpheus have all our data backed up
on multiple intercommunicating devices held
within a 'server centre' tends to suggest something
more basic.
OK, apologies if I'm not immediately helpful -
but then none of we mere mortals have direct
access to the 'behind the scenes' and very secure
exchange and storage Server complexes where our
data is held.
Suggestion?
Dunno - except try contacting Richard again so
that he can continue looking into the problem,
perhaps re-prodding our SysAdmin - if in fact
this is not already being done.
Richard's phone numbers do connect with him,
even when he's frequently 'out in the field'.
He, as the rest of the Orpheus staff, have
an interest in ensuring the business keeps
running..
I've had a number of chats with Richard, I will try to catch him at
the SW show this weekend.
Post by Bill (Adopt)
..and, at least, you now know someone is still
here within the argonet newsgroups!
:0))
Post by Bill (Adopt)
No answers, but hope the moral support helps
a little.. :))
Cheers

John
Bill ZFC
_______________________| http://www.jpeachey.co.uk
Russell Hafter News
2015-03-05 14:38:02 UTC
Hi, not sure if anyone hangs around here anymore.
Only very occasionally...
I have a domain hosted by Orpheus, and within my webspace
is a directory awstats. This folder now contains around
1Mb of stats going back to 2011.
I always kept these pruned to the last 15 months or so.

I also had small sites hosted at Purley Hosting (now
XenCentric Hosting) and was only paying for small amounts of
storage, so I **had** to keep webstats pruned.
I have tried to delete the older stats, but they refuse to
delete. Within FTPc I get the command failed. The folder
has full owner read/write/execute, so the files should be
deletable.
I have asked Orpheus to look into it but have got nowhere.
Any ideas why the stuff in this folder won't delete, and
does anyone else have this problem?
Sorry, no. I do not have the problem. Maybe worth phoning
Richard rather than e-mailing?
--
Russell
http://www.russell-hafter-holidays.co.uk
Need a hotel? <http://www.hrs.com/?client=en__blue&customerId=416873103>
J Peachey
2015-03-05 21:28:57 UTC
Hi Russell
Post by Russell Hafter News
Hi, not sure if anyone hangs around here anymore.
Only very occasionally...
I have a domain hosted by Orpheus, and within my webspace
is a directory awstats. This folder now contains around
1Mb of stats going back to 2011.
I always kept these pruned to the last 15 months or so.
How do you prune these stats? Using FTPc I am unable to delete the
files, do you use a different method?
Post by Russell Hafter News
I also had small sites hosted at Purley Hosting (now
XenCentric Hosting) and was only paying for small amounts of
storage, so I **had** to keep webstats pruned.
I have tried to delete the older stats, but they refuse to
delete. Within FTPc I get the command failed. The folder
has full owner read/write/execute, so the files should be
deletable.
I have asked Orpheus to look into it but have got nowhere.
Any ideas why the stuff in this folder won't delete, and
does anyone else have this problem?
Sorry, no. I do not have the problem. Maybe worth phoning
Richard rather than e-mailing?
I have made some progress on this, and hadn't realised that there is a
web page you can log into to see the stats in a graphical format,
which makes more sense.

Thanks for your reply.

John
_______________________| http://www.jpeachey.co.uk
Russell Hafter News
2015-03-05 21:42:55 UTC
Russell Hafter News
Post by Russell Hafter News
Hi, not sure if anyone hangs around here anymore.
Only very occasionally...
I have a domain hosted by Orpheus, and within my
webspace is a directory awstats. This folder now
contains around 1Mb of stats going back to 2011.
I always kept these pruned to the last 15 months or so.
How do you prune these stats? Using FTPc I am unable to
delete the files, do you use a different method?
No. Just display them in FTPc, select a group of files by
right-clicking, then menu button, 'Selection' at the top of
the FTPc window, then scroll down to delete. Just standard
RISC OS procedure. Access shows that files are 'Owner'
Read/Write, Group and Public Read only.

For the first time ever I tried moving a file by
shift-dragging, and that worked as per normal RISC OS too
(the original file being deleted).

Sorry not to be of more help.
J Peachey
2015-03-06 21:10:55 UTC
In message <***@russellhafter.me.invalid>
Russell Hafter News <***@russellhafter.me.invalid>
wrote:

[snip]
Post by Russell Hafter News
No. Just display them in FTPc, select a group of files by
right-clicking, then menu button, 'Selection' at the top of
the FTPc window, then scroll down to delete. Just standard
RISC OS procedure. Access shows that files are 'Owner'
Read/Write, Group and Public Read only.
Yes, what I would have expected, I just can't delete edit the files
for some reason. I have copied the files out, but move does a simple
copy.

Very odd.
Post by Russell Hafter News
For the first time ever I tried moving a file by
shift-dragging, and that worked as per normal RISC OS too
(the original file being deleted).
Sorry not to be of more help.
No, thanks for taking the time and trouble to have a dabble, it just
confirms the setting on my domain is corrupt/broken for some reason.

Having had an email exchange with Richard I have now found that there
is a graphical interface to the stats, which makes them quite
interesting, and means I'm going to change parts of my site.

Thanks, for having a dabble.

John
_______________________| http://www.jpeachey.co.uk