Increasing spam?
Dr Peter Young
2010-07-16 06:58:21 UTC
[Posted and mailed]

Is it just me, or is there a lot more spam getting past the Orpheus
filters lately? There were twelve this morning, and nearly that number
for the past few mornings. It's a lot worse in the mornings; perhaps
they come from the far east?

I can trap them with the Hermes spam filters, by getting them to look
at the header X-orpheus-MailScanner-SpamScore, and setting the trap to
catch anything that has 1, 2, 3, or 4 here (5 means the message is
deleted at the server).

I do know that catching spam is a never-ending battle, but it does
seem as if something is slipping here :-(

With best wishes,

Peter.
--
Peter, \ / zfc Lu \ Prestbury, Cheltenham, Glos. GL52
Anne \/ __ __ \ England.
family / \__/ \_/ | \| \__/ \______________ ***@ormail.co.uk
Stuart
2010-07-16 09:30:01 UTC
Post by Dr Peter Young
Is it just me, or is there a lot more spam getting past the Orpheus
filters lately?
Can't say I had noticed.
Stuart Winsor
Alan Griffin
2010-07-16 16:57:27 UTC
Post by Dr Peter Young
[Posted and mailed]
Is it just me, or is there a lot more spam getting past the Orpheus
filters lately? There were twelve this morning, and nearly that
number for the past few mornings. It's a lot worse in the mornings;
perhaps they come from the far east?
I can trap them with the Hermes spam filters, by getting them to look
at the header X-orpheus-MailScanner-SpamScore, and setting the trap
to catch anything that has 1, 2, 3, or 4 here (5 means the message
is deleted at the server).
I do know that catching spam is a never-ending battle, but it does
seem as if something is slipping here :-(
No it's not just you. I went on holiday three weeks ago, and since I
got back the spam has increased by a factor of about three. Every day I
get at least ten e-mails wanting to me to buy portable air-conditioners!

Alan Griffin
Ben Crick
2010-07-16 17:25:00 UTC
Post by Alan Griffin
No it's not just you. I went on holiday three weeks ago, and since I
got back the spam has increased by a factor of about three. Every day I
get at least ten e-mails wanting to me to buy portable air-conditioners!
Every day I get 2/3rds spam and 1/3 genuine emails. Portable Air
Conditioners; Blogging the Banks; Renters Insurance; new careers in
the medical industry; Your Restaurant Coupons... and so it goes on.

I emailed ***@orpheusinternet.co.uk and was told that Dan was
working on it last weekend and during this week. Meanwhile it has not
got much better. I just downloaded 118 emails, of which 51 were Spam.
So it's slightly better at 51/118.

Keep up the good work, Dan!

Ben
--
_ __________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
* He who kneels before God can stand before anyone.
Dr Peter Young
2010-07-16 18:03:44 UTC
Post by Ben Crick
Post by Alan Griffin
No it's not just you. I went on holiday three weeks ago, and since I
got back the spam has increased by a factor of about three. Every day I
get at least ten e-mails wanting to me to buy portable air-conditioners!
Every day I get 2/3rds spam and 1/3 genuine emails. Portable Air
Conditioners; Blogging the Banks; Renters Insurance; new careers in
the medical industry; Your Restaurant Coupons... and so it goes on.
working on it last weekend and during this week. Meanwhile it has not
got much better. I just downloaded 118 emails, of which 51 were Spam.
So it's slightly better at 51/118.
So it's not just me! Thanks for confirming this, and to Alan too. Glad
it's being worked on, but in the meanwhile I'm grateful to the Hermes
spam filters, which catch the vast majority of it.
Post by Ben Crick
Keep up the good work, Dan!
Echoed.

With best wishes,

Peter.
family / \__/ \_/ | \| \__/ \______________ ***@ormail.co.uk
Alan Griffin
2010-07-18 10:52:21 UTC
Post by Ben Crick
working on it last weekend and during this week. Meanwhile it has not
got much better. I just downloaded 118 emails, of which 51 were Spam.
So it's slightly better at 51/118.
I got 76 spam this morning with no genuine e-mails!
That's 0/76 which is a ratio of infinity!

Alan Griffin
Rosemary Miskin
2010-07-18 18:11:20 UTC
Post by Alan Griffin
That's 0/76 which is a ratio of infinity!
no it's not - it's a ratio of zero. 76/0 is infinity.

Rosemary
--
Rosemary Miskin ZFC Sm ***@orpheusmail.co.uk
Loughborough, UK http://miskin.orpheusweb.co.uk
Alan Griffin
2010-07-20 09:09:57 UTC
Post by Alan Griffin
Post by Ben Crick
working on it last weekend and during this week. Meanwhile it has
not got much better. I just downloaded 118 emails, of which 51
were Spam. So it's slightly better at 51/118.
I got 76 spam this morning with no genuine e-mails!
This morning I only had 6 spam so Dan appears to have been successful!
Thanks!
Alan Griffin
Dr Peter Young
2010-07-20 13:26:56 UTC
Post by Alan Griffin
Post by Alan Griffin
Post by Ben Crick
working on it last weekend and during this week. Meanwhile it has
not got much better. I just downloaded 118 emails, of which 51
were Spam. So it's slightly better at 51/118.
I got 76 spam this morning with no genuine e-mails!
This morning I only had 6 spam so Dan appears to have been successful!
Thanks!
More than that here, though I didn't count them, but less that at the
worst, so I hope you're right.

With best wishes,

Peter.