Lack of mail
Vic Smith
2008-03-27 19:40:25 UTC
Is it just me, or is there a general problem with email

Nothing downloads, and attempting to access webmail gives an error message

Error connecting to IMAP server : pop.orpheusnet.co.uk
110 : Connection times out

V.N. Smith

Bill (Adopt)
2008-03-27 20:48:08 UTC
Post by Vic Smith
Is it just me, or is there a general problem with email
Nothing downloads, and attempting to access webmail gives an error message
Error connecting to IMAP server : pop.orpheusnet.co.uk
110 : Connection times out
Hi Vic! :))

..and no, it's not just you.. :))

For a while last night and overnight, there appeared
to be a major DNS failure, or another failure somewhere
in the system.

This had nothing to do with Orpheus, argonet.*.* nor
any other server or ISP.. it might well have heen a
failure of one of the major BT components carrying
Internet traffic around the UK..

Not only did mail take a dive, but so did news,
web pages ..even google gurgled and went silent! ;))

I think that, by the time you receive this, Paul
may well have replied here as well with better information
..although I guess that most if not all of your systems
will be up and running again by now...

At least the 'phone lines didn't cave in as well ..eeek!

hh :))

Bill ZFC
--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Paul Vigay
2008-03-27 20:46:07 UTC
Post by Vic Smith
Is it just me, or is there a general problem with email
There was - but it should all be working again now. It was a temporary blip
on the server.

Paul
--
Usenet replies: To contact me, visit www.vigay.com/feedback/

Life, the Universe, RISC OS Help and Everything - http://www.vigay.com/
Share and discuss ideas or chat about the above - http://forum.vigay.com/
Quality Internet, Domain Registration & Hosting - www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Dr Peter Young
2008-03-27 22:14:54 UTC
On 27 Mar 2008 Paul Vigay
Post by Paul Vigay
Post by Vic Smith
Is it just me, or is there a general problem with email
There was - but it should all be working again now. It was a temporary blip
on the server.
/And/ was reported on the mirror status page. Well done again, Paul!

With best wishes,

Peter.
--
Peter \ / zfc Er \ Prestbury, Cheltenham, Glos. GL52
Anne \/ __ __ \ England.
Vic Smith
2008-03-28 11:55:17 UTC
Sorry to go on about this, but although the Status page claims that the
fault was cleared by 07.00 on Thursday morning, I could not access any part
of the Orpheus system at 19.00 on Thursday evening

See the time of my original message

Why ?

V.N. Smith