Time server
Steve Clark
2010-07-20 20:28:27 UTC
Is there a time server at orpheusnet? I've been using the ntp.demon.co.uk
but that's stopped working. Or is there any free time server I can use?
--
Steve Clark

{***@ormail.co.uk using a 129Mb SA 6.20 RiscPC}
Dr Peter Young
2010-07-20 21:18:40 UTC
Post by Steve Clark
Is there a time server at orpheusnet? I've been using the ntp.demon.co.uk
but that's stopped working. Or is there any free time server I can use?
This has been extensively discussed on the Archive on Line mailing
list. I don't begin to understand the technicalities, but it seems
that ntp.demon.co.uk no longer works with FreeTime, but does work with
NetTime on the Iyonix. For FreeTime you now need to use
ntp2.demon.co.uk

Note the one character difference!

HTH,

With best wishes,

Peter.
--
Peter, \ / zfc Lu \ Prestbury, Cheltenham, Glos. GL52
Anne \/ __ __ \ England.
family / \__/ \_/ | \| \__/ \______________ ***@ormail.co.uk
Mr John FO Evans
2010-07-21 18:38:50 UTC
Post by Steve Clark
but that's stopped working. Or is there any free time server I can use?
I use ntp1.nl.net (ntp(one))

John
--
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
_______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk
Steve Clark
2010-07-22 00:48:48 UTC
Post by Dr Peter Young
Post by Steve Clark
Is there a time server at orpheusnet? I've been using the ntp.demon.co.uk
but that's stopped working. Or is there any free time server I can use?
This has been extensively discussed on the Archive on Line mailing
list. I don't begin to understand the technicalities, but it seems
that ntp.demon.co.uk no longer works with FreeTime, but does work with
NetTime on the Iyonix. For FreeTime you now need to use
ntp2.demon.co.uk
Note the one character difference!
HTH,
With best wishes,
Peter.
Thanks,

that's fixed it.

Theo Markettos
2010-07-22 19:23:38 UTC
Post by Dr Peter Young
This has been extensively discussed on the Archive on Line mailing
list. I don't begin to understand the technicalities, but it seems
that ntp.demon.co.uk no longer works with FreeTime, but does work with
NetTime on the Iyonix. For FreeTime you now need to use
ntp2.demon.co.uk
Briefly, there are two protocols: daytime and NTP.

Daytime is like the speaking clock: "The time now is: ...."

NTP is like calling lots of speaking clocks at once and trying to work out
how long it takes for the voice to go down different length phone lines (if
you've ever used digital and analogue radio together you might get the
idea).

Daytime is very simple, and NTP is much more accurate but more complex.
FreeTime speaks Daytime, NetTime speaks NTP. Some time servers run both,
some only run NTP.

Theo
Dr Peter Young
2010-07-23 06:46:15 UTC
Post by Theo Markettos
Post by Dr Peter Young
This has been extensively discussed on the Archive on Line mailing
list. I don't begin to understand the technicalities, but it seems
that ntp.demon.co.uk no longer works with FreeTime, but does work with
NetTime on the Iyonix. For FreeTime you now need to use
ntp2.demon.co.uk
Briefly, there are two protocols: daytime and NTP.
Daytime is like the speaking clock: "The time now is: ...."
NTP is like calling lots of speaking clocks at once and trying to work out
how long it takes for the voice to go down different length phone lines (if
you've ever used digital and analogue radio together you might get the
idea).
Daytime is very simple, and NTP is much more accurate but more complex.
FreeTime speaks Daytime, NetTime speaks NTP. Some time servers run both,
some only run NTP.
Many thanks for this clear explanation. I think this also explains an
oddity I noticed when I was trying various servers with FreeTime
NetTime would have just said something like "Last error: 0.000234
seconds slow, when FreeTime would say "1 seconds (sic) slow ..."

With best wishes,

Peter.
family / \__/ \_/ | \| \__/ \______________ ***@ormail.co.uk
Ben Crick
2010-07-22 21:47:00 UTC
Post by Steve Clark
Is there a time server at orpheusnet? I've been using the
ntp.demon.co.uk
but that's stopped working. Or is there any free time server I can use?
I use a module from JR Miller about 15 years ago which dials the
National Physical Laboratory at Twickenham, then automatically
resets your system clock to GMT (NOT BST).

If this is what you want, I can email it to you. It's only 2.14 KB.

The email address I have for JR Miller is <***@amsat.org>.
I don't know if it is still valid.

Ben
--
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services
\_/| |_)| |(/_|_|_> / 'Internet for Everyone'
_______ | ___________./ http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk
Revd Ben Crick BA CF <ben.crick[at]argonet.co.uk> ZFC Ir
232 Canterbury Road, Birchington on sea, Kent CT7 9TD (UK)
Acorn RPC700 Kinetic RO 4.03 with Castle Iyonix RO 5.16 Ethernet
* Kindness is difficult to give away because it keeps coming back.