PDF difficulties
Tennant Stuart
2009-11-20 07:52:21 UTC
If you click on...

http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Services/Freeview-HD

..it says you can find out more (about HD beginning on Freeview) by
downloading a rollout plan, and gives a link to a small PDF file.

However, !PDF totally ignores this file. Any suggestions?

Tennant Stuart
--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family
(__) (____)(_)\_)(_)\_)(__)(__)(_)\_) (__) @orpheus.co.uk & MCR
Stuart
2009-11-20 09:06:54 UTC
Post by Tennant Stuart
However, !PDF totally ignores this file. Any suggestions?
No but Gosh, this is the first post I've seen here for ages. (apart from
FAQ)
--
Stuart Winsor

Risc OS Midlands show Sat 5th Dec.
http://www.mug.riscos.org/show09/MUGshow.html
Dr Peter Young
2009-11-20 10:22:28 UTC
Post by Tennant Stuart
If you click on...
http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Services/Freeview-HD
..it says you can find out more (about HD beginning on Freeview) by
downloading a rollout plan, and gives a link to a small PDF file.
However, !PDF totally ignores this file. Any suggestions?
I have four RISC OS pdf reader programs here, and none of them will
open this file. I've opened it in Foxit Reader in Windows, re-saved it
and !PDF is now happy with it. Send me, off-list, a valid e-mail
address, and I'll send it to you. (Run out of time ATM; it'll be this
afternoon.)

With best wishes,

Peter.
--
Peter, \ / zfc Yb \ Prestbury, Cheltenham, Glos. GL52
Anne \/ __ __ \ England.
family / \__/ \_/ | \| \__/ \______________ ***@ormail.co.uk
Paul Stewart
2009-11-20 10:46:10 UTC
Post by Tennant Stuart
If you click on...
http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Services/Freeview-HD
..it says you can find out more (about HD beginning on Freeview) by
downloading a rollout plan, and gives a link to a small PDF file.
However, !PDF totally ignores this file. Any suggestions?
!GView doesn't like it either, claiming xref section interpretation
error

Regards
--
Paul Stewart - Far Bletchley, Milton Keynes, England.
(msn:***@phawfaux.co.uk)
Martin Wuerthner
2009-11-20 10:53:21 UTC
Post by Tennant Stuart
If you click on...
http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Services/Freeview-HD
..it says you can find out more (about HD beginning on Freeview) by
downloading a rollout plan, and gives a link to a small PDF file.
However, !PDF totally ignores this file. Any suggestions?
That is a PDF 1.5 file. For reasons I have never understood Adobe
allowed these to be completely incompatible with earlier PDF formats
(at the discretion of the program that produces them - you can write
1.5 files that are fully backwards compatible). That move is really
strange after the huge effort they have put in to make sure that each
new revision of the PDF format is backwards compatible. It is a bit
like building a carefully balanced tower from building blocks and then
pulling out the complete row at the bottom.

ArtWorks loads that file. Since ArtWorks uses the same underlying PDF
library as !PDF, that suggests that a rebuild of !PDF with a newer
version of the library would fix it.

GView has the same problem as !PDF, so you cannot view the file with
Ghostscript even though it is unlikely that Ghostscript itself has any
problems with the file.

Martin
Martin Wuerthner MW Software http://www.mw-software.com/
ArtWorks 2 -- Designing stunning graphics has never been easier
***@mw-software.com [replace "spamtrap" by "info" to reply]
Bill (Adopt)
2009-11-20 11:12:06 UTC
Post by Tennant Stuart
If you click on...
http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Services/Freeview-HD
..it says you can find out more (about HD beginning on Freeview) by
downloading a rollout plan, and gives a link to a small PDF file.
However, !PDF totally ignores this file. Any suggestions?
It knows where you live ..and will not give you any
details unless:

your tv licence is paid up
you have been through d.s.o., and have New!
Digitil Ariel bubbling in your washer.
BT has sold you something Virgin by mistake..

No idea. It seems to load; perhaps something (eof?) is
missing..?

Might be fixed so - or perhaps an observation to Freeview?
--
Adoption InterLink UK with -=- http://www.billsimpson.com/
Domain Host Orpheus Internet -=- http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/
Bill (Adopt)
2009-11-20 11:34:57 UTC
Post by Bill (Adopt)
Post by Tennant Stuart
If you click on...
http://www.freeview.co.uk/freeview/Services/Freeview-HD
..it says you can find out more (about HD beginning on Freeview) by
downloading a rollout plan, and gives a link to a small PDF file.
However, !PDF totally ignores this file. Any suggestions?
No idea. It seems to load; perhaps something (eof?) is
missing..?
Might be fixed so - or perhaps an observation to Freeview?
Apologies: meant to add that there appears to be something
missing (necessary meta data?) towards the end of the file,
but not being a techie, I'm not sure what should be in the
'gap'?

btw.. is there a reason for posting to three groups?
(!Puto's wondering).

Not a negative comment :)) ..just wondering if you've been
or are having problems?

Bill ZFC
Tennant Stuart
2009-11-22 18:01:00 UTC
Post by Bill (Adopt)
btw.. is there a reason for posting to three groups?
(!Puto's wondering).
Tell !Pluto that he can't count; I posted to *two* groups. :P

What happened was I started by clicking on "Download difficulties"
to start off a new thread, changed 'ownload' to F and added a P.

The original was cross-posted to AAV/CSAM, so I let it stand.

Tennant
--
____ ____ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ ____
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family
(__) (____)(_)\_)(_)\_)(__)(__)(_)\_) (__) @orpheus.co.uk & MCR
Bill (Adopt)
2009-11-27 06:33:25 UTC
Post by Tennant Stuart
Post by Bill (Adopt)
btw.. is there a reason for posting to three groups?
(!Puto's wondering).
Tell !Pluto that he can't count; I posted to *two* groups. :P
What happened was I started by clicking on "Download difficulties"
to start off a new thread, changed 'ownload' to F and added a P.
The original was cross-posted to AAV/CSAM, so I let it stand.
Ha! OK.. :))

I've told !Pluto, but it just sits and sort of looks
at me ..blank like..

As long as there's no problem.. :))
Tennant Stuart
2009-11-30 18:02:00 UTC
Post by Bill (Adopt)
Post by Tennant Stuart
Post by Bill (Adopt)
btw.. is there a reason for posting to three groups?
(!Puto's wondering).
Tell !Pluto that he can't count; I posted to *two* groups. :P
What happened was I started by clicking on "Download difficulties"
to start off a new thread, changed 'ownload' to F and added a P.
The original was cross-posted to AAV/CSAM, so I let it stand.
Ha! OK.. :))
I've told !Pluto, but it just sits and sort of looks
at me ..blank like..
As long as there's no problem.. :))
Not now, thanks to Richard Spencer and everyone who's helped.

Tennant
--
(_ _)( ___)( \( )( \( ) /__\ ( \( )(_ _) Greetings to family